Monday, July 23, 2007

homework for Beth

The sitcom is called “mother and son”. It’s about the relationship, trivial things in daily life between the mother and her two sons, Arthur and Robert. The mother suffers a little dementia, lives with her divorced son, Arthur. Arthur’s wife divorced him because she could not stand to live with the mother in-law any longer; the mother always uses emotional black mail to make Arthur feels guilty, so that he would stay with her. So, Arthur could never have new girlfriends. Compare with Arthur’s good-natural, conscientious, and piety. The second son, Robert is selfish, affectation, and pretense. Robert visits his mother just only if she calls to see him, or when he needs something from the mother, he always gives the mother flowers and little gift to make her happy. It seems mother always think Robert is sweet, and always complain about Arthur did not take good care of her, but actually in her mind she knows, Arthur is a good son, and always the one who look after her.
Watching “mother and son” just like watch my family story on TV.
My grandmother is 85 years old, has two sons, my father and his younger brother, they just like Arthur and Robert in “mother and son”. Grandmother has lived with my father in my family for more 30 years. In these thirty years, She also used emotional black mail to make my poor father felled badly, so, for so many years, my father never had long-term relationship with any woman, not because he did not want, it’s because my grandmother always not happy with his girlfriends. Grandmother is also suffering dementia, sometimes, she even could not remember who we are, most of time, she could not remember what just happened minutes ago, just like the mother in” mother and son”. When I watch the sitcom on TV by accident, it reminds me of my family, especially my grandmother.

No comments: